Advanced Management Development Program in Real Estate (AMDP)
Transforming Industry Executives into Global Leaders
Advanced Management Development Program in Real Estate (AMDP) provides the tools and vision needed by today’s leaders in the global real estate industry. Designed for senior executives and accomplished entrepreneurs with 15 or more years of experience in real estate and related industries, AMDP is an intensive, transformative experience.
[Download the brochure.]
Joined with an elite group of senior real estate entrepreneurs and decision makers, you will gain new management strategies and best practices, advance your insight into new technologies, discover ways to influence public policy, and become better prepared for the future. As a result of this unique educational experience, you will:
- Deepen your understanding of capital markets, international finance, and complex deal structures
- Improve your personal leadership techniques and skills
- Examine public-private development and legal issues in real estate
- Evaluate how recent trends are affecting the real estate development process
- Enhance your ability to lead yourself and others
Participants come from all over the world and reflect a variety of industry sectors connected to the built environment. All are proven leaders in their field, with an average of 20 years of experience (minimum of 15 years). Typical participants include major property developers in regional, national, and international markets; senior executives in the real estate investment and property management industries, chiefs of public planning, as well as founders or partners of successful architectural practices.
Participants will have 15 or more years of real estate-related experience with proven success in leadership roles. Proficiency in English, local residency during the program, and a full-time commitment are required.
AMDP sessions are led by renowned faculty from the GSD, the Business School, the Kennedy School of Government, the Law School, and Harvard College, as well as industry luminaries and renowned experts from around the world. A complete list of instructors is available on the AMDP web site.
AMDP is a six-week, executive development program held over the course of one year. At completion, participants are granted full alumni status at the Harvard Graduate School of Design (GSD). A new class begins each year in July. The program is divided into four, successive modules:
- Summer Term I: July 7-19, 2013
- Winter Term: February 9-14, 2014
- Summer Term II: July 20 - August 1, 2014
- Elective week: To be completed by August 2015
The case study method is the primary form of instruction. Participants attend an average of fifteen 90-minute sessions per week in the following areas:
- Finance: Capital markets, structuring complex deals, obtaining debt and equity, international finance, investment analysis, REITs
- Strategy: Market strategy, organizational strategy, corporate real estate, talent management, negotiation
- Development: Planning, conceptualization, approvals, public-private development, legal and regulatory issues, marketing and market analysis
- Planning and Design: Land use and public policy, urban design, environmental issues, sustainable design and development
- Technology: Strategic context of technology, including BIM, GIS, new building systems, processes, and materials
- Leadership: Leading through change, developing high-performing teams, decision-making, succession planning.
Additional aspects of the curriculum include a Team Project, creating a real-world development plan for a local community, and an Independent Project for connecting your strategic goals with your AMDP experience. A final week of Elective Programs is required for earning Harvard GSD alumni status.
(A limited number of admissions to the program are reserved for full-time employees of non-profit charities and related organizations. Please inquire for further information.)
Application deadline: May 3, 2013
Have questions? Contact the program manager at email@example.com or 617-496-6164.